Last updated on Tuesday, April 7, 2020
- WIPO Operations –
- Tuesday, April 7: In case you missed it, click here to view the Director General's public broadcast.
- Thursday, April 2: WIPO has decided to postpone the following meetings in May 2020:
- WIPO Conversation on Intellectual Property and Artificial Intelligence (2nd Session), May 11 to 12, 2020;
- Committee on Development and Intellectual Property (CDIP) (25th session), May 18 to 22, 2020; and
- Patent Cooperation Treaty (PCT) Working Group (13th session), May 26 to 29, 2020.
- Monday, March 30: The International Bureau published detailed information on their website, urging PCT users to avoid submissions by postal mail and urgently provide a contact e-mail address if none was indicated in relation to their pending international application(s). Information on the Madrid Protocol can be found here. Information on the Hague Agreement can be found here.
- Wednesday, March 25: WIPO released a notice of public broadcast. On April 7, the Director General will cover the results of WIPO in 2019; program highlights and challenges for 2020; and management of the COVID-19 crisis and its impact on WIPO services and programs. The broadcast will be available on the WIPO website at www.wipo.int.
- Saturday, March 21: WIPO released the following news blast: https://www.wipo.int/portal/en/news/2020/article_0015.html
- Saturday, March 21: WIPO contacts IPIC to provide the following links for remedies available in case of failure to meet a time limit, and extension of time limits:
- Hague: https://www.wipo.int/edocs/hagdocs/en/2020/hague_2020_5.pdf
- Madrid: https://www.wipo.int/edocs/madrdocs/en/2020/madrid_2020_7.pdf
- PCT: https://www.wipo.int/pct/en/newslett/2020/article_0006.html
- Arbitration and Mediation Center: https://www.wipo.int/amc/en/center/wipoupdate.html
- UDRP/ccTLD: https://www.wipo.int/amc/en/center/wipocenterupdate.html
- Thursday, March 19: WIPO and its PCT operations remain open at this time. We have been told by WIPO management that there are no plans at present for WIPO to declare itself closed for purposes of filing and processing PCT applications. If WIPO offices were to close for purposes of filing and processing PCT applications, notice would be posted on the WIPO website and to various WIPO subscriber lists and national/regional Offices. Please visit the WIPO web site https://wipo.int and the WIPO Media Center sub-page for the latest information ( https://www.wipo.int/pressroom/en/ ).
- European Patent Office – EPO remains open, however has made various changes to procedures in response to COVID-19. Please monitor the following page for up to date information on their COVID-19 changes: https://www.epo.org/news-issues/covid-19.html
- United States Patent and Trademark Office –
- Monday, April 6: The USPTO released a series of FAQs and answers for patent and trademark filers regarding the previously announced extension of certain patent and trademark-related timing deadlines under the Coronavirus Aid, Relief, and Economic Security (CARES) Act. To access the patent FAQs, click here. To access the trademark FAQs, click here.
- Sunday, March 22: The USPTO encourages registered users of the USPTO’s Patent Electronic Systems who are not currently participating in the e-Office Action program to log into Private PAIR to update their Customer Number details to receive electronic notifications of office communications. Click here for more details.
- Thursday, March 19: The USPTO remains open but has closed the physical offices to the public. They have provided relief to USPTO customers affected by COVID-19 pursuant to 37 CFR 1.183 and 37 CFR 2.146. https://www.uspto.gov/sites/default/files/documents/coronavirus_relief_ognotice_03162020.pdf. Please visit this USPTO website to monitor their response: https://www.uspto.gov/coronavirus. USPTO has also waived the original handwritten signature requirement. Further info here.
- Mexican Patent and Trademark Office (IMPI) - Thursday, March 26: IMPI has issued a new resolution to suspend all its activities during the period from March 27, 2020 until April 19, 2020. Click here for more information.
- UK IPO –
- Friday, March 27: The UK IPO has announced that it will be declaring 24 March 2020 and subsequent days to be “interrupted days” until further notice.
- Monday, March 30: Following the update on Friday, March 27 detailing the changes to the UK IPO services during the COVID-19 outbreak, additional information has been released explaining the Patent, Trade Mark and Designs deadline and extension regimes that have been put into place. For patent deadlines and extension regimes, click here. For trademark and designs deadlines and extension regimes, click here.
Important – The World Trademark Review has made all of their COVID-19 related information and updates free, by removing the paywall. Please see the announcement here.
**The following link may be useful for tracking updates of IPO’s around the world: https://www.worldtrademarkreview.com/brand-management/ip-offices-implement-measures-in-wake-of-coronavirus-crisis