In view of the ongoing crisis, effective March 16, 2020, CIPO granted temporary relief under Section 78 of the Patent Act, effectively creating an extension of time for most--but not all--deadlines in the Patent Office. In the meantime, CIPO remains open for business on its usual business days, but with fewer options for receiving correspondence.
Many agents and clients have questions about CIPO’s operational status, how this extension of time impacts applicants and their deadlines, and what will happen when this temporary relief ends.
This webinar will cover:
· Understanding the time provisions in the Patent Act and Patent Rules
· How extended dates and extensions of time "stack" together
· Which deadlines are not extended
· Timing issues for abandonment, reinstatement, and late payments
· When to file a request for an extension of time