Patent Attorney / Agent
We are currently seeking an experienced Patent Attorney / Agent with strong experience in drafting, filing and prosecuting US, Canadian, PCT and international patent applications (through associate counsel) to achieve strategic technology and IP development goals. This position will report to the VP, IP Strategy and work closely with inventors, technical contributors and various leads in R&D teams, as well as Terramera’s Corporate Counsel, Licensing Managers and third-party relationships team.
To expand Terramera’s international IP portfolio by developing, filing, prosecuting and managing patents as part of Terramera’s IP team. To contribute to the Company’s competitive intelligence, including searching and assessing competitive third-party IP positions, as well as providing advice related to infringement, freedom to operate and competitors’ IP positions.
- Support full-cycle patent asset creation and management from developing and tracking invention disclosures, searching and patent landscape exploration, drafting patent applications, filing new applications and managing patent prosecution and maintenance both directly and through external IP counsel;
- Contribute to the implementation and continual refinement of Terramera’s IP strategy across global jurisdictions;
- Drive the continuous generation of patentable IP from the Company’s strong and rapidly growing R&D team;
- Contribute to our patent mapping process to identify and evaluate the competitive IP landscape;
- Expand throughput capability of patent drafting, filing and management, including the ability to monitor a high volume of existing IP cases, including provisional, PCT and national phase applications;
- Contribute to prosecution and management of existing portfolio of patent applications and granted assets, including direction of external IP counsel and coordination of examination responses; and
- Implement and contribute to IP policies, standards and education for internal and external stakeholders.
- BSc in Biological / Chemical / Pharmaceutical Science / Chemical Engineering or other related technical field;
- Strong experience in drafting, filing and prosecution of US, Canadian, PCT and international patent applications (through associate counsel) to achieve strategic technology and IP development goals;
- Experience in international patent filing, strategy and prosecution requirements;
- Proficiency in prior art and freedom to operate patent searching and analysis;
- Ability to develop and write invention disclosures and patent application drafts from scientific reports in a wide range of technical subject areas in Chemistry, Biology and Data Science;
- Ability to recognize patentable value in discoveries, ideas and disclosures, as well as suitability for other forms of IP protection; and
- Ability to advise research team members on data and experimental design requirements for patent enablement.
- Registration as Patent Agent / Attorney in Canada, US, and/or Europe;
- Graduate technical degree and / or Law degree;
- Experience in licensing of technical patent assets;
- Experience with start-up companies and technology development partnering; and
- Background in Chemistry, Plant Biology / Biochemistry, Agriculture, Agri-Food or Pharma industry.
QUALITIES WE’RE LOOKING FOR
- Strong analytical and complex data processing abilities;
- Strong problem-solving and decision-making skills;
- Outstanding written and verbal communications and interpersonal skills;
- Excellent organizational and project management skills and ability to independently plan and deliver projects;
- Strong dedication and commitment to personal excellence;
- Positive, tenacious, results-oriented and high energy;
- Entrepreneurial, risk-taker, eager to push the boundaries beyond conventional thinking;
- Thrives in a fast-paced, dynamic and highly team-oriented work environment;
- Personal style that challenges, empowers and not just inspires but drives action and innovation;
- Highly motivated, driven individual that can thrive on disagreements and turn them into positive new ideas and outcomes; and
- Demonstrated ability to work in cross-functional environment.
- Vancouver, BC
WHO WE ARE
Terramera is a cleantech leader focused on fusing AI, science and nature to create revolutionary technologies that transform how we grow food and solve other world-scale challenges. With its Actigate™ Targeted Performance technology and mission to unlock the intelligence in nature to ensure a world that thrives and provides for everyone, Terramera is committed to reducing global synthetic chemical loads in agriculture by 80 percent while increasing global farm productivity by 20 percent by 2030. The privately held company was founded in 2010 and has grown to include a world-class bench of engineers, scientists, advisors and investors. Terramera is headquartered in Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada, has integrated operations that include a research lab, greenhouse and farm, and has more than 185 patents in its IP portfolio.
Our success begins with our people. We’re looking for A-Players who are passionate about making a difference as we are and thrive in environments that are dynamic, challenging and rewarding. Join our movement, as we set a new standard and change the world together as a highly dedicated, innovative, future-focused and solutions-oriented team.
While we thank all applicants for their interest, only short-listed candidates will be contacted. For more information on Terramera, please visit our website at www.terramera.com
APPLY HERE: https://boards.greenhouse.io/terramera/jobs/1908604?gh_jid=1908604