Intellectual Property Counsel
Pratt & Whitney Canada is a world leader in the design, development and manufacture of gas turbine engines for the aviation industry. Its share of global markets continues to grow, fuelled by ambitious product development programs and a sustained commitment to research and development. P&WC is one of the leading private R&D investors in Canada.
P&WC is looking for a talented intellectual property lawyer to join its legal team.
As Intellectual Property Counsel, you will be part of the greater Pratt & Whitney intellectual property legal team providing legal counsel and support across all of Pratt & Whitney's global operations. You will be based in Longueuil, Quebec, and will report directly to P&WC's Associate General Counsel - Intellectual Property.
In your role, you will primarily support P&WC's growing aerospace business, working closely with the P&WC engineering organization and legal peers in Pratt & Whitney's Canadian, U.S., and Polish operations. As a lawyer and patent agent, you will be responsible for building and maintaining P&WC's patent portfolio to protect and advance the company’s strategic business interests worldwide. You will also assist P&WC engineering in its product and technology clearance efforts. You will be a key member of P&WC's integrated business and engineering teams overseeing their development and execution of intellectual property strategies for key programs and technologies. Other responsibilities may include negotiating IP agreements, providing IP support to other transactions, as well as counseling, dispute resolution and representing the company in disputes involving IP in both administrative and other settings. It is important to emphasize that you will be required to take a visible and important role as a member of the greater Pratt & Whitney legal team, primarily in Canada, but also in the U.S. and Poland. Your ability to connect and work effectively with engineering and program personnel, win their confidence, and work as an integrated member of a cross-disciplinary team while providing effective legal advice and counsel is critical to succeeding in this position. The person who can be the right fit for this opportunity is a well-organised, high-energy, self-starter seeking a key IP leadership role within a dynamic, complex, and fast-paced business. You should be dedicated to working in a team environment and have strong analytical, interpersonal, organization, and written/oral communication skills, be business-focused and detail oriented, and have impeccable ethics and integrity. If this describes you, we would like to speak with you.
- LL.B./B.C.L. degree and undergraduate degree in engineering or technical field with preference toward Mechanical, Aerospace, or Materials
- Registered to practice before the Canadian Patent Office, and familiar with patent prosecution practice before CIPO, the USPTO and the EPO
- 5+ years of experience as a practicing lawyer with preference for patent procurement/clearance and IP transactional experience
- Currently admitted and in good standing with at least one provincial bar with eligibility for Quebec conseiller en loi
- Preference for previous work experience as engineer or other technical field within Aerospace, Manufacturing, or Industrial industries
- Initiative, creative, along with the ability to craft clear communications both written and verbally
- Strong analytical skills and attention to detail
- Creative troubleshooting skills
- Possess excellent judgment and professional maturity
- Multi-tasking abilities, have a client focus, adaptive, and work effectively in a time sensitive and dynamic environment
- Ability to develop effective strategies for developing and managing intellectual property in the context of supplier, customer, and business requirements
Please submit your information here: P&WC Career Site
We thank all applicants for their interest; however, only candidates under consideration will be contacted.