Toronto, ON Position TypePermanent, Full-time CategoryPatent Agent
340 Albert Street
Ottawa ON K1R 7Y6
Life Sciences — Patent Agent
Are you interested in working at one of Canada’s leading business law firms alongside some of the best and brightest legal minds providing exceptional service to our clients?
Take the next step in your legal career and join Osler’s Intellectual Property group as a Patent Agent, in our Ottawa office. We are seeking a mid-level Patent Agent, with a background in Life Sciences subject matter. The successful candidate’s main responsibilities will include drafting and prosecuting patent applications, primarily in the technical area of chemistry.
Do you have what we’re looking for?
- Registered Canadian Patent Agent in good standing with the College of Patent Agents & Trademark Agents (CPATA); registration with the U.S. Patent and Trademark Office is an asset
- Three or more years of relevant work experience drafting patent applications in the technical area of chemistry
- Exposure to a wide array of technologies, and proficiency with drafting patent applications in other technical areas (e.g. simple mechanical device/apparatus) is an asset
- Excellent knowledge of Canadian patent practice, including Canadian Patent Law changes coming into effect October 2022
- Experience with managing worldwide patent portfolios is an asset
- Advanced degree (M.Sc., preferably Ph.D.) in Life Sciences, with chemistry preferred
- Dedication to high quality work product with strong attention to detail
- Ability to work well in a fast-paced environment while providing top-quality client service
- Superior time-management and organizational skills to efficiently multi-task and prioritize competing demands
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills, both with internal and external clients
- Team player
How To Apply
Osler prides itself on attracting and maintaining some of the brightest talent in the legal arena. Our lawyers, patent agents, law clerks, students, management and staff have created a unique firm culture which nurtures mentoring and the exchange of ideas. Osler is a dynamic and exciting place to begin a career or carve out a new path.
If you have the required background and an interest in taking your next step at Osler, please apply in confidence with a cover letter, résumé and transcripts directly to Reena Rosenwald – firstname.lastname@example.org.
We thank all applicants for their interest in Osler; however, only chosen applicants will be contacted. Osler is committed to fostering a diverse and inclusive work environment, and we welcome and encourage applications from people with disabilities and people with diverse backgrounds, identities, and cultures. For candidates with disabilities, accommodations are available upon request in all phases of the selection process.
Background and Reference Checks
Please note that any offer of employment will be conditional upon background and reference checks, including a criminal record check, credit check, and employment and educational verifications.
For the safety of firm members and visitors, Osler is committed to complying with the recommendations of public health authorities, including with respect to adopting mandatory vaccination policies. Employment at Osler is therefore conditional on complying with any vaccination policies that Osler may adopt from time to time in response to the recommendations of public health authorities.
We are currently working in a hybrid work arrangement, with a requirement to work partially in the office and an opportunity to work remote.