Remote Position TypePermanent, Full-time CategoryPatent Agent, Patent Agent Trainee, Other
D-Wave is looking for exceptionally motivated people who love to see the impact of their work, who are driven to ensure the success of the company, and who want to be a part of something special. We are working to radically change what is possible with computers and are leading the effort to commercialize quantum computing.
D-Wave’s systems are multi-disciplinary in nature spanning physics, algorithms research, math, mechanical engineering, cryogenics engineering, low noise analog and digital electronics, conventional computer networking, and a low magnetic field environment. The company's flagship product, the D-Wave 2000Q, is built around a novel superconducting quantum processor designed to exploit quantum resources known to offer large computational speedups on some problems. The D-Wave annealing quantum computer can sample from probability distributions and optimize functions that are computationally intractable using classical hardware. D-Wave computers are currently being used by customers such as Lockheed Martin, NASA and Google, and there is a rapidly expanding community of cloud users and developers exploring applications and expanding open-source tools. D-Wave has appeared in Time Magazine, MIT Technology Review, Forbes, INC Magazine and Wired.
Are you a collaborative and self-motivated person with strong interpersonal skills, who is enthusiastic and passionate about learning and technology? Do you have an engineering or science background, and do you have experience drafting patents? If so, we invite you to apply to join our IP team.
D-Wave’s IP team is responsible for monitoring D-Wave’s technological developments, drafting and prosecuting patent applications, and liaising with D-Wave’s scientists and engineers to ensure IP procedures are followed and D-Wave’s technological leadership position is protected by strong patents.
You will work together with the team that has developed an industry-leading patent portfolio. You will get the opportunity to draft and prosecute patents on a broad range of technologies in collaboration with folks pushing the boundaries of their respective fields. While the primary focus of the role is on patent drafting and prosecution, you will also get the opportunity to get involved in other IP-related areas, and to develop business and IP strategy skills.
The majority of the team is based at our head office in Burnaby, British Columbia. We welcome applications from applicants interested in working on-site or elsewhere remotely from Canada or the US
Please visit our Career's site to apply: https://jobs.lever.co/dwavesys/57423cc7-c31c-4231-9770-1d11dd3a90cc
- Drafting patents in a range of technical disciplines and preparing arguments for the patent office to turn patent applications into granted patents
- Learning about D-Wave’s cutting-edge and evolving technology
- Identifying new ideas through meetings and collaboration with inventors
- Developing and nurturing positive interpersonal relationships with the IP team and our diverse technical team to build trust and foster cooperation
- Assisting with the management of D-Wave’s IP portfolio to support our business
- Reviewing and identifying IP issues in the context of D-Wave's contracts, product documentation, marketing materials, presentations and other documents
- Training and advising non-IP colleagues on good IP habits and processes
- Proactively monitoring and advising on IP developments that may impact our business
- Managing and prioritizing a high-volume workload to ensure the right things get done on time and on budget
Experience and Skills we're looking for:
- Prior experience drafting patents or patent agent designation
- Work, study or exposure to any of software, physics, math, computer science or electrical engineering
- Effective written and verbal communication
- Ability to build and nurture relationships
- Organizational skills and the ability to manage deadlines and priorities
D-Wave is passionate about building a diverse and inclusive workplace and welcomes applicants from a wide range of backgrounds, identities and experiences. It is our policy to provide equal employment opportunity to all persons regardless of race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, sexual orientation, gender identity, genetic information, physical or mental disability, protected veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by federal, state or provincial.